MUHAMMADIYAH.OR.ID, YOGYAKARTA—Muhammadiyah Association of Singapore was founded in 1957 by a group of students from Madrasah Raudatil Atfal, a Muslim school for children in Singapore.
The founding meeting was held on May 25, 1957, to celebrate Eid al-Adha. In the meeting, the students agreed to strengthen their unity and officially established a Sunnah movement in Singapore. They perceived that Muhammadiyah was a suitable movement to achieve their goal of reinforcing Islamic life in Singapore.
One of the essential steps in establishing Muhammadiyah Association of Singapore was selecting a name. In the meeting, the name “Muhammadiyah” was chosen and submitted to the Registrar of Societies. This name was considered the most appropriate to represent their goals and values.
As a first step in the formation of Muhammadiyah Association of Singapore, a 13-member Protem Committee was elected. This committee was responsible for drafting the association’s constitution.
The Protem Committee then called for a General Meeting on December 25, 1957, to ratify the official formation of Muhammadiyah Association of Singapore. In this meeting, the 13 members of the protem committee were elected to manage the new association. On September 2, 1958, the Muhammadiyah Constitution was submitted to the Registrar of Societies for official approval. Muhammadiyah Association of Singapore was finally registered as a legitimate association.
Since then, Muhammadiyah Association of Singapore has grown and been active in carrying out the mission of da’wah and various educational and welfare activities in Singapore, following the principle of “amar ma’ruf nahi munkar” as believed by Muhammadiyah.